In October 1851, alluvial gold was discovered along the Forest Creek, over eleven kilometres from Mount Alexander and thirty-two kilometres from the Loddon River, into which the creek’s water flowed after its junction with Barkers Creek. Diggers swarmed to the surrounding flats, hills and gullies as further rich discoveries were made. The arrival of Chinese diggers caused tensions, and in 1854 the Mount Alexander Mail reported that ‘the Chinese are congregating about Forest Creek in great numbers’. The early settlement was generally known as ‘Forest Creek’ but named Chewton in 1856. In 1857 Forest Creek (Chewton) had a population of 5,459, of which 1,785 were Chinese.