The following information comes from the statement of significance for the Ballarat Post Office in the Heritage Register Online:
The Ballarat Post Office is the third such building erected on the site since 1858. The earliest section, designed in Italianate palazzo style by the Public Works Department during William Wardell's tenure as Inspector-General and Chief Architect, opened in 1864. A telegraph office and treasury was added to the Lydiard street north frontage in 1871, followed by further offices and a clock tower in 1885.
The Ballarat Post Office is an extraordinary exemplar of the financial activities of the Colony's largest non-metropolitan economy. It was the centre of its fiscal and communications networks, demonstrated by both its location, physical context and its size.
It is a representative and an essentially intact example of a building type - a purpose-built and substantial example of a major Victoria post office, the second largest outside the Melbourne GPO. The Post Office is now part of the Camp Street Campus, of the University of Ballarat.
The building is a representative and early example of the work of renowned Public Works Department architect, William Wardell.
Created: 12 October 2006, Last modified: 13 October 2006