1. Themes
  2. A to Z
  • Click to view this Photograph

    Premises, staff and family of W. Davies, Boot and Shoe Maker, Castlemaine, c. 1860, courtesy of State Library of Victoria.

  • Click to view this Artwork

    Wesleyan Church, Castlemaine, 21 July 1862, by Frederick Grosse, 1828-1894 (engraver), courtesy of State Library of Victoria.

Wesley Hill, VIC

Wesley Hill is located to the south of Castlemaine, after crossing the J.B. Patterson Bridge over Forest Creek. Initially, there were at least three churches belonging to different sections of John Wesley’s followers on the ‘Hill’. In 1852, the first service in Castlemaine to be conducted in a properly consecrated church was held in the newly built Wesleyan Church. There was gold mining in the vicinity and, in late 1854, an early steam powered quartz crushing plant was also established.

Anna Davine

Bannear, David, Heritage Victoria, Historic gold mining information, Department of Sustainability and Environment. Details
Bradfield, R., Castlemaine: a golden harvest, Lowden Publishing Co, Kilmore, 1972. Details

See also