- Alternative Names
- Mount Korong
Wedderburn, or Korong, Goldfield was opened in 1852. Spurred on by news of large nuggets, principally obtained from Queens Gully, a reported six thousand men were attracted to the Wedderburn gold rush. Lack of water, declining gold yields, and news of spectacular gold discoveries elsewhere soon reduced this population to a few hundred.
As late as 1950 two pieces of gold that had been overlooked in the earlier rushes were found on the surface in the town itself: the Wedderburn Dog (145 ounces) and the Golden Retriever (72 ounces).