- Alternative Names
- Pennyweight Flat
Part of the original Strathloddon pastoral run, Yapeen is located by Campbells Creek, south of Castlemaine. Following alluvial gold discoveries in Donkey and Mopoke gullies, the district became known as the Pennyweight Flat diggings and, by late October 1852, a settlement with several stores had been established. In 1861, it was named Yapeen, the Aboriginal word for ‘green hill’ or ‘valley’. For a time, several quartz reef mines, such as the Golden Lead Mine, provided steady dividends. Chinese diggers were prominent and, after gold yields declined, some stayed on in the district to work extensive market gardens.