- Alternative Names
An early goldmining settlement on the Fiery Creek goldfield, Chute was originally called Charlton. It was located where the Beaufort-Amphitheatre Road crosses Trawalla Creek, about thirteen kilometres north of Beaufort.
With the growing importance of Charlton (on the Avoca River), the settlement was persuaded to change its name to Chute in 1879. At the time, its population was just over 100.