- Alternative Names
- Sandy Creek
In 1852, a party of miners found alluvial gold in the Sandy Creek, which ran through the Tarnagulla pastoral run on the Loddon River. Thousands of diggers rushed to the district, particularly after a number of large gold nuggets were found. By the mid 1860s, the gold boom had peaked, although some rich alluvial finds were made over the next 40 years. Originally called Sandy Creek, in 1860 the settlement’s name was changed to Tarnagulla. Its official population was 1,522.